Thursday, April 10, 2014

The Dreaded "Injury" + a PR

Since our long run on Sunday, I've only gotten one more run in this week.  It was a good run at least!  Monday was mandatory rest day.  Tuesday I was still feeling sore since my body isn't used to all the miles in one day.  I figured on doing 3 to 5 miles.  I started running with The Husband and instantly started out too fast.

The Husband was looking fly in his new orange shirt.  He unintentionally matched them with his gray and orange shorts and sunglasses with orange lenses.  On top of that, he was testing out my hydration belt which also happens to be orange. 

Orange you glad you are running?

Once I told The Husband to just go ahead without me, I tried to settle into a better pace.  That's something I always have issues with at the beginning of a run.  Usually on long runs I work hard at telling myself "just settle into the run", but Tuesday I was feeling the need - the need for speed!

After I did the first mile in 10:29, I tried to slow myself down a little bit so I could run further.  Once I did a full lap of the trail we were on (not dirt trail, we haven't found any good real trails around us), I realized I was over half done with running a 5k and decided to just go for it.

Mile two wasn't super speedy yet since I didn't decide to try to push it until the end of that mile.  I ran the second mile in 10:21.

Mile three felt hard!  But at the same time it felt so good.  I've never done a tempo run, but that is kind of what I imagine one to be like.  The pace felt hard, and I wanted to give in, but I just kept telling myself "I'm stronger than I think I am" and pushed through it.  I could sustain that pace for longer still, but I didn't want to.  Once my phone said 3.1 miles, I went just a few steps further in case my program wouldn't register it as a 5k unless it was past 3.11 miles (technicalities).  Mile 3 was done in 9:27!  That is fast for me!

All in all I ran my fastest 5k I've ever recorded.  31:28 for 3.13 miles.  I've never ran just a normal 5k race so I'm counting this as my PR for now!

The bad news is, later that night I felt the shin splints kicking in.  I was having issues with shin splints back in January and February.  Being that I haven't ran consistently for this long ever, I wasn't really positive how to deal with them.  Of course I would ice.  But I didn't want to be a pansy and just stop running because of my "injury".  I didn't feel injured. 

Homemade ice bags

I took it easy for a week or two and ran just a few times over that time period.  Then we went on a 2 week vacation to Australia with the best intentions to run while there, but we only ran on the first day and the last day.  So I had a forced two week break.  Once we got back and started running again, I felt great! 

Can I go back yet??

4 weeks of feeling great with running and now back to the shin splints again.  But now I'm in a real cunundrum.  Our first half marathon ever is only 3 weeks away!  So what do I do???  Our last really long run is this weekend, 11-13 miles.  While I want to run that, I'm not sure it would be in my best interest.  After that, the following weekend starts the taper.  So do I take two weeks off now (with cross training instead)?  Do I keep going with the training knowing I can take a 2 week break after the race since I don't have any other races on the schedule right away?  Do I just run a couple times a week and make them lower mileage? 

I really don't know the answer to this.  The Husband is dealing with an issue of his own with pain in his foot.  It worries me that he has the start of a stress fracture going.  I don't really have any reason to believe this other than that I've read they are common in the feet. 

Oh the desire to run that I've never really experienced until now with the logic that says to not run!  What a mess. 

And to end on a happy note, sushi!  Nom nom nom...


 
 
____________________________________

Any advice on what to do with my shin splints??
How many people coordinate their outfit when running?
Favorite sushi?

No comments:

Post a Comment