Monday, April 7, 2014

First Blog Post Ever!

Welcome to my blog!  As this is my first post, I officially have zero readers right now and feel like I am writing this to no one! Hopefully that will change soon :)

Yesterday The Husband and I went on our second double digit run ever.  We ran 10 miles at a new to us trail on the other side of town.  


The Husband grabbed my phone and I didn't know what his plan was.  Sadly, this is my only picture from our run!

More importantly, it gave me a chance to try out some new gear!  We hit up the Underarmour Outlet store on Saturday.  Love this new top I have on in the picture.  Also, I feel super nerdy with the hydration belt but at the same time it also makes me feel like a totally hardcore runner.  Are they one in the same?  Maybe.

The run went fairly well.  I am aiming for 12 minute miles on my long runs.  Totally not a fast runner by any means but then again I have only really been running consistently for 10 months now!  I keep trying to remind myself of this when I get frustrated I'm not running sub 10 minute miles.

If I eventually get one of those fancy schmancy Garmin watches, maybe I'll post pictures of my splits.  For now, you will have to trust me that they were around 11:45 give or take some seconds for 7 of the miles and 3 of the miles were over 12 minute miles.  Those were the miles I decided to walk when eating as I am not coordinated enough to run, unzip my pouch, pull out nutrition of choice, tear open nutrition, rezip pouch so I don't lose any food, and then munch away while also drinking water, and doing all of this while running.  Yeah.  Not happening.

Anyway, by mile 6 my legs were already feeling super tired.  Also, right after mile 4 at our turn around, the map promised us there would be bathrooms at this park.  They lied.  The bathrooms were locked.  Worst feeling ever when you're not even half done!  I think that's what I'm most looking forward to with running our first half marathon (the Indy Mini), is consistent port-a-potties along the route.  Never thought I would say I'm looking forward to a port-a-potty.

I think it's always demoralizing when you do an out and back but then it wasn't far enough so you actually have to run past your vehicle for another 0.8 miles before being allowed to turn around and head back for it to finally sit down.  You live and you learn.

The Husband and I thought about going home and taking an ice bath, but we ended up stopping to eat on the way home at the Noodle Bowl.  By the time we got home I was already cold from the sweaty clothes.  I despise being cold so there was no way anyone was putting me in a tub of cold water.  Filled with ice.  The Husband tried it after we threw a 5 pound bag of ice in the water.  That lasted probably 30 seconds.  I don't blame him.  

Took some time with the foam roller later that night but I am still feelin' it today!  I always wonder how much worse it would feel if I didn't roll the night before.  I am really bad at doing it anyways but at least I make sure after a long run to get it in.  New goal?

Favorite combo of nuts everrrr


__________________________________
How do you hydrate on a long run?
Ice bath?  Yes or no?  Any tips?
How often do you foam roll?
       - for me, once a week is a good week

No comments:

Post a Comment